Define teaching in more effective terms
Teaching is one of the instruments of education and is a special function is to impart understanding and skill. The main function of teaching is to make learning effective. The learning process would get completed as a result of teaching. So, teaching and learning are very closely related. Teaching is a process in which one individual teaches or instructs another individual. Teaching is considered 1 as the act of imparting instructions to the learners in the classroom situation. It is watching systematically. (Flickr) (physicscatalyst, 2018)
1. Dewey: — considers it as a manipulation of the situation, where the learner will acquire skills and insight with his own initiation.
2. H C Morrison: — Teaching is intimate contact between a more mature personality and a less mature one.
3. Jackson: — Teaching is a face-to-face encounter between two or more persons, one of whom (the teacher) intends to effect certain changes in the other participant's students).
4. JB Hough and James K Duncan:- Teaching is an activity with four phases, a curriculum planning phase, an instructing phase, and an evaluating phase This definition presents the organizational aspect by which we can describe and analyze the teaching process.
5. N.L.Gage (Democratic point of view):- Teaching is interpersonal influence aimed at changing the behavior potential of another person
6. Clerk: — Teaching refers to activities that are designed and performed to produce in student’s behavior.
We can define teaching according to the following three viewpoints.
According to this viewpoint
• Teaching is an activity of memory level only
• This teaching does not develop thoughts and attitudes in the students.
• Is known as thoughtless teaching
• This teaching is teacher’s centric criticism of the teachers.
b. Democratic teaching:
According to this
• Teaching is done at an understanding level.
• Memory level teaching is the prerequisite (concept) is first memorized and then understand
• Such teaching is known as thoughtful teaching,
• According to this point of view, teaching is an interactive process, primarily involving a classroom talk which takes place between teachers and students.
• Here students can ask questions and criticize the teachers,
- Here students can ask the questions and are self-disciplined.
c. Laissez-Faire Attitude:
• It is known as reflective level teaching.
• It is more difficult than memory level and understanding level of teaching.
• Memory level and understanding level teaching are must for the reflective level of teaching.
• It is a highly thoughtful activity.
- At this level both students and teachers are participants.
- This level provides insights.